12 February 2007

Ocean Platters

Here are three dishes from my "Ocean Platter" series, which I started making in 2005. Platters vary in size, shape and colour.
Prices from £25 to £75
Each platter is slip cast and decorated with engobes (coloured slips) by painting and printing techniques, then I tube-line thin lines (a bit like piping onto cakes!) to create texture and ripples across the surface. The piece is biscuit fired, then glazed and fired again. Finally I apply lines of silver or gold luster for their reflective qualities and fire the piece once more. It all sounds rather laborious, but definitely worth it ~ each piece has a fluid depth with a wonderful tactile quality.

1 comment:

Sheila Vaughan said...

Emma, I really love the colours you have used here. I like the way you have filmed them in context as it were but is it also possible to see one of them close up?
Sheila