10 April 2007

Clay Girl - work in progress

This is my first bit of sculptural work in clay that I have done in a long long time. I REALLY enjoyed making this. It (as always) is not how I imagined it to be. I wanted a very simplified and stylised figure of a little girl, but, I forgot how much I love details and movement. My hands and imagination got carried away.

She is not very big and stands only 220mm tall. She is now fired and has changed to a bright terracotta orange, not exactly the best look... and of course I can't decide what to do next, but I do have a couple of ideas which I'm toying with. She reminds me of my eldest girl and her love of "dancing dresses" as she calls them, which flow and move as you twirl and dance around. Maybe that's why I like her, as does my daughter.. who said she would never forgive me if I sold it. I'll show you when I've finished!

I've got so many irons in the fire at the moment... a mega big commission, my paintings and so much more, that I don't know which way is up... its great! I also have some exhibition deadlines coming up, which I need some ceramics for... some how I've got to decide what to do and make for them!

Well it is certainly (so far) a year of taking up past and forgotten talents (can I say that?) and love for painting and creating. I'm really enjoying the chance to explore, experiment and get carried away. I think it gets more difficult to get these chances as you get older (dare I say it), and your responsibilities change. Having said that, I have just bought 3 large canvases, which I have no idea of what to do with, but I'm all excited! How many people can relish in the fact of just going for it... and enjoying it too!? It is probably a bit trivial to most people and possibly a bit sad, but for me its a big deal and I'm not ashamed, making excuses or talking myself out of it. So there!!!

It is the school holidays just now (if you didn't know), so my posts will be less regular, I must spend some time with the family. But I will be adding more posts, so keep me in mind the next time you log on. See you then.. and you could always leave me a message... HA! HA! Yes, I'm forever hopeful!

No comments: