23 July 2007

Commission in progress!

I have been telling you all about my BIG commission for so long and not posted anything yet. Well today, you will be glad to see, is the day!

In the picture to the left, you will see a pillar with the stove/fireplace enclosed, which I have been asked to tile all around. Each tile is approximately 11" x 8" with smaller tiles for the top and bottom of the pillar. They have been especially made to size. It took me a good few weeks to find somebody who was able to do this for me, but now they are finally here.

The piece is taking its inspiration from the Willow Pattern and a wonderful set of tiles I came across that the clients really liked too. So, I am painting the "Tree of Life" in a wonderful Persian blue/green with a plane cream background, then in and around the tree I will be painting animals insects and flowers in their true colours. It should look very striking and will certainly be the centre piece for this amazing Eco friendly house and home.

















I started by wrapping the pillar in paper and sketching out my ideas. I then laid out the sketch onto the floor and traced the image so to work onto the tiles with more ease, see the image above right. Its a lot of fiddling, lifting and replacing the traced image up and down, on and off the tiles to see if it is all correct... but I've done it. Phew!

See below the two samples or the Robin and Owl. They are not fired or glazed at this point and are on 8"x8" tiles rather than using up they special ones.


































Well that is all I can show you for now! I am working in the attic with our roof rabbits (mice!) for company, as they are better that the girls walking over them. And, it is the only space in the house that I can work on the image as a whole with peace and quiet.

I'll post more images as I progress, so, keep watching........ !

No comments: