3 March 2007

Butternut Squash - £55 (GBP) SOLD

Close up study of a butternut squash, painted in acrylics on to a box canvas. The image continues around the edges, it is ready to hang & no need to frame.
200mm x 200mm x 20mm

I love butternut squash, it is delicious. A recent find to our food/eating menu. Don't know how we missed out before. I have only really come to like this painting until now, in fact, it was my very first "getting back to painting" painting ~ done over a month ago! I chose the butternut because foolishly I thought... Gosh this is going to be easy... then I got to the pips... Oh they were infuriating!
It made me realise and admire all the paintings a day people ~ the talent and.. dam! I am SOOOO rusty! I decided that it had to be put away for a little while, so this is why you haven't seen it until now! It was one of those times it had to be either put down & stop painting, or I would be at it forever, OR in the bin!
Now I love the colours ~ all the golden yellows, creams, flesh tones to the warm ripe orange to reds. Never thought I'd see the day that I liked orange! And I really like the table cloth that curls around the edge of the box canvas. I'm a perfectionist I suppose (no suppose ~ I am) and had it in my mind that it should be much more detailed, but actually I like the swift paintbrush strokes I used for the pips in the end, it gives that huddled & muddled feel, especially in contrast to the smooth hard flesh.

Funny how over time you come to change your perception about something. Yes I like it a lot now!

All this painting reminded me of my school teacher Alan Biggs (check out the link), if it hadn't been for his support, patience & dedication, I don't know where my art would be in my life. He gave me my first belief in myself and my art creations... I certainly would not have got any of my exams, or went to art school if he had not been there for me. Everybody needs that amazing teacher in school... and I was so very lucky to have him... Even better we still keep in touch and occasionally see each other. What I should be saying is "Thank you Mr. Biggs!"

The thing that amazes me about this blog thing... is every time I sit down, I never think I have anything to say. But it just pours out ~ it must be the conversations I don't have... the children free zone in my head that I've found a way of expressing. Having said that my mind has just gone completely blank... I'll sign off now before I launch into the next topic and save it for another day!

Hope you like my butternut, go and get one, cook it up for supper and enjoy!

No comments: